The popular ActionSript 3 Core Library is still a valuable help in many Flex projects. Started as library to be used with Flex 2 it is actively developed and can still be used with the current Flex 4.x SDKs, and of course Flash Builder 4.
Unfortunately it is not obvious to use it in Flash Builder 4 since there is no as3corelib.swc compiled by Flex 4.x (or it is so hard to find that I couldn’t work it out).
So let’s build the library by ourself:
- Download the source archive (Note: the project moved from Google Code to github).
- Unpack it to a folder.
- In Flash Builder 4 select „File“ > „New“ > „Flex Library-Project“
- Enter a name (e.g. „as3corelib“)
- Select the directory of the unpacked projects
- Select in the section „Flex SDK-Version“ Flex 4.1 (or higher), if this is not your standard SDK.
- And this is important: Select „Include AIR-Runtime-Libraries“ – otherwise you’ll get include errors
- Click on the „Done“ button
- Now you’ve got a brand new Flex library project
- Launch the „application“ by „Run“ > „Run main“
- This should result to a fresh compiled „as3corelib.swc“ in your bin path of the unpacked as3corelib source archive